MANY PARENTS THESE DAYS LOOK TO PROBIOTICS TO HELP KEEP BABIES SAFE
While gut bacteria that probiotics become are vital for digestion, they’re also essential for health and immunity. Those little bacteria help to keep harmful bacteria from entering the bloodstream through the digestive tract.
Probiotics are vital for human health. It’s a symbiotic relationship that keeps us alive. The best way to start a baby’s life is with good probiotics. Pay attention to her needs and everything will work out just fine.
DOES A BABY NEED PROBIOTICS?
There are some warning signs that babies might need probiotics:
- Infant colic - This can indicate there’s not enough flora to keep food from causing issues.
- Consistent diarrhea or constipation - If there are issues processing food, probiotics might be needed.
- Asthma or allergies - Gut flora can keep the body's defenses in attack, even against allergens.
- Acne and eczema - The bacteria that can cause skin conditions can be controlled by the same gut flora that baby needs.
Of course, if your doctor tells you to, give your baby probiotics. And if any of these conditions exist, it might be worth a conversation.
HOW DO BABIES NATURALLY GET PROBIOTICS?
Babies are exposed to good gut flora in several ways, all from mom and dad.
- Delivery - Babies are exposed to a lot of good bacteria during vaginal birth. If mom needs a c-section, it might be an indicator that the baby will need probiotics.
- Through breast milk - breast milk is full of good flora. If you’re not using breast milk, a formula that includes probiotics will be important. HiPP formulas all contain probiotics, while probiotics are added to other formulas. Be sure to read the labels.
- Contact - Good gut flora is also outside the gut. In fact, they’re all over your skin and hair. When you have direct contact with your baby, you're transferring some of these helpful bacteria and flora to them.
THE SAFETY OF PROBIOTICS
There aren’t a lot of studies regarding babies and probiotics. This is probably because they’re a natural part of our diet and our bodies.
The most significant factor in probiotic safety is the manufacturer. Buy only probiotics from a reputable company. Don’t just choose something cheap or that you saw an ad for. You want a company that has a history and a good reputation. In fact, you’re best off choosing a formula from a highly respected company that contains probiotics, rather than giving probiotics as a supplement, if possible.
Are you still feeling a little unsure? A parent's formula-feeding journey is so personal, unique, and can be challenging. We at OBF24 are proud to have a team that can help guide you along the way. We typically answer your email within a couple of hours. Get in touch